lilypond-user

Re: DIfferent note values within a chord

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: DIfferent note values within a chord
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 16:24:58 +0200

Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> writes:

> On 2024-05-21 6:40 am, Jun Tamura wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Could someone give me a pointer for this?
>> This is a quite popular notation for bowed string instruments. I’m
>> almost certain that I saw a way to achieve this before but could not
>> find it this time.
>

> What you typically do is \tweak the duration-log property of the
> notehead you want to change.  In the example you provided, begin with
> all notes simply as half-notes.  The only notehead you need to adjust
> will be the low one.
>
> %%%%
> \version "2.25.13"
>
> {
>   \clef bass \omit Staff.Clef
>   \omit Staff.TimeSignature
>   \stemDown
>
>   <\tweak duration-log 2 d, d a>2
>   <\tweak duration-log 2 d a f'>2
>   <\tweak duration-log 2 e, c e>2 \fermata
> }
> %%%%

Frankly, someone™ should put in the work to make

\version "2.25.13"

{
  \clef bass \omit Staff.Clef
  \omit Staff.TimeSignature
  \stemDown

  << d,4 d2 a >>
  << d4 a2 f' >>
  << e,4 c2 e \fermata >>
}
%%%%

just work.  There is an additional bit of ickiness for per-note
articulations as compared to per-chord articulations since per-note
articulations would require an extra < > bracketing around the note in
question in addition to << >> around the chord.

Also you need to take care when using that construct in \relative since
< ... > conveys the _first_ pitch in the chord as the current relative
pitch to the next note while << ... >> conveys the _last_ pitch.  So
switching between the two does involve some editing.

--
David Kastrup